Friday 9 March 2018

My most anticipated releases of 2018 (part 2) // Grabby Hands #10

Hello, beautiful people!

Back in December, I decided to revive my Grabby Hands feature where I talk about all of my most anticipated book releases. I am now doing those posts every three months, which is why today, I'm going to talk to you about my most anticipated releases from April to June; it's the Spring edition, I guess. This isn't the list of all the books I'm anticipating, because it would be too long, but the ones I really need to get my hands on like... Now.




Dread Nation by Justina Ireland - April 3rd
Genres: young adult, historical fiction, fantasy

Dread Nation is an alternate history novel set after the American Civil War... Except there are zombies. Because of the new laws, Afro-American and Native-American children are forced to attend combat schools to put down the dead and it follows a girl who attended one of those schools, returning home when she finds herself in the middle of a conspiracy. I know many people don't like books with zombies and I thought it would be my case until I read Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard (btw, READ IT), that was also historical fiction. I've always wanted to read more novels set during the American Civil War, so the time period interests me, even though it's alternate history, and it seems to focus a lot on oppression as well. I've seen great things about this one, I cannot wait to read it.

Circe by Madeline Miller - April 10th
Genres: fantasy, historical fiction, retelling

Okay, I have to admit that I have yet to read The Song of Achilles, even though I've seen people on bookstagram raving about it. My only excuse is that I need to get the Bloomsbury Modern Classics edition and well... I'm not ready for this book to destroy me, like it did for everyone else. Anyway, I'm quite curious about Circe, which follows the Greek mythology character of the same name, a witch who was banished by Zeus to an island, where her path is intertwined with many important characters: Hermes, Daedalus or even Odysseus. I've heard so many great things about Madeline Miller's writing, I'm so ready to jump into this one!

Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel by Daniel José Older - April 17th
Genres: science-fiction

It's no secret that I've been completely obsessed with Star Wars ever since Episode VIII came out last December (I already loved Star Wars, but it got so much worse). Last Shot is coming out right before Solo: A Star Wars story and I have to say that I'm really not excited about that movie*, but I added Last Shot on my TBR because I really want to read more Star Wars novels. Apparently, it follows different timelines and as I've always been curious about Han's character, I knew that I wanted to read it, but I didn't need it right this instant, you know? AND THEN. We got an excerpt involving a two years old Ben Solo. BEN SOLO. I adore him so much, he's my ultimate weakness, I need every single piece of information on him. I need to know everything. I'm so obsessed. Maybe it'll help me keep faith until Episode IX is released, but let's be real, I'll just cry every time they talk about him**.

*maybe it will not be as bad as I think? Maybe I'll end up enjoying it? One shall live in hope.
** I'm so sorry, but I'm emotional about him 24/7, I can't be calm when I talk about him, oops.



Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli - April 24th
Genres: young adult, contemporary

A new book by Becky Albertalli is always something to rejoice about. I really enjoyed Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda, her debut, but my personal favourite is The Upside of Unrequited. This one follows Leah, Simon's best friend that we met in his novel and as a matter of fact, I don't really know much about it, except that Leah is bisexual. Now that I think about it, if it has Becky's name on the cover, it will most likely be amazing. I know she has sensitivity readers who loved this one, which means the representation must be good.

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young - April 24th
Genres: young adult, fantasy

Sky in the Deep is Adrienne Young's debut novel and the premise sounds so exciting. It follows Eelyn, who was raised to be a warrior and fights alongside her clansmen in an ancient rivalry against another clan, until they face her brother who was supposed to have died on the battlefield. She is then forced to flee into the mountains, her clan is raided by a ruthless clan supposed to be a legend and to ally herself with someone she doesn't think she can trust. This is a Viking-inspired fantasy novel, I've been looking for Vikings books my entire like. 

The Oddling Prince by Nancy Springer - May 15th
Genres: young adult, fantasy

So anyway, this one is set in Scotland. This is the main reason I need it. I always need books set in Scotland. It involves dark secrets, faeries, royalty, brothers and from the summary, it says that it "explores the darkness of the human heart as well as its unceasing capacity for love", honestly it sounds so good? Now that I've read The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, I know that I need more ruthless faeries in my life (hopefully it'll be like that). Nancy Springer also wrote the Enola Holmes series that I adored as a child, it followed Sherlock Holmes' younger sister, she was one of my heroines, so I'm curious to read another of her novels.




On The Come Up by Angie Thomas - June 5th
Genres: young adult, contemporary

This is another case where seeing Angie Thomas' name is more than enough to make me want to read this book. On The Come Up follows Bri, a young woman who wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time, which comes with a lot of pressure considering her father was an underground rap legend who died before getting his big hit. When her mother unexpectedly loses her job and her family might become homeless, Bri no longer wants to make it, she has to make it. I cannot wait to read another book by Angie Thomas.

A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir - June 12th 2018

The wait is almost over. Finally. The Ember series has been one of my favourite YA fantasy series for such a long time and I can't believe we almost waited two years for the third book. It was for the best, I'm sure of that, but oh, it was excruciating. It's my fault for reading A Torch Against the Night on its release week, because I have no restraint, but oh well. I can't say much considering it's the third book in a series, but I cannot wait to reunite with all the characters and see what will happen next.

A Thousand Beginnings and Endings, anthology edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman - June 26th 2018

A Thousand Beginnings and Endings is an anthology focusing on reimagining the folklore and mythology of East and South Asia. It has star-crossed lovers, meddling immortals, feigned identities, it involves fairy tales, myths and folklore. I don't know all the authors who are contributing to this anthology, but reading an anthology is also about discovering new authors, right? I'm quite looking forward to reading stories by new-to-me authors, as well as to get some more out of the authors I already know, such as Renee Ahdieh or Julie Kagawa. I've come to really enjoy anthologies, so I hope I'll love this one as well.


Are you excited for any of these books? 
What are your most anticipated releases for April, May and June?



Lots of love,
Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment