Tuesday 22 August 2017

London Book Haul (part 1)

Hello beautiful people!

I spent two days in London for Cassandra Clare and Holly Black's signings last week and I benefited from that time to buy some new books, for my TBR was very small and I really wanted to buy classics. I'm so excited to read them all, because these were all at the top of my wishlist. I'll admit it, when I saw so many of the Penguin English Library collection reunited, I couldn't resist and that's mostly what I bought.

Side note: This one is called London Book Haul (part 1) because I'm going back to London on September 1st, the day of Harry Potter's epilogue. I'm crying in advance.



Our Dark Duet by V.E. Schwab

While I was at Forbidden Planet, I stumbled into signed copies of Victoria Schwab's books and I was so excited, for I love her books so much. I had yet to purchase Our Dark Duet, sequel to This Savage Song, which is why I couldn't resist and I'm so excited to read it. It's the only one of Schwab's YA books I still have to read.




The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

I have seen this book everywhere on Bookstagram and many people said it was their favourite book of the year. It is set during the Victorian era and involves the mythical Essex serpent, which is making me very curious (even though I'm terrified of snakes), I'm pretty sure it is right up my alley. Besides, this hardcover is absolutely gorgeous and it was only ten pounds.





Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

I read Great Expectations years ago in French, my first ever Dickens, and it is one of my favourite books ever. I'm planning on rereading it with my friend Clara in the near future and I really wanted to buy this hardcover edition, because it's absolutely gorgeous and there are so many notes in it. 


You can see glimpses of the artwork for each of these Penguin English Library editions,
I'll take more pictures of them in the future, of course!

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Last year, I read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and really enjoyed it. I wanted to discover more of this author's novels and while I'm a little intimidated by this one because of its length (794 pages), Ellie Dashwood got me so excited about it.


Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Now that I've read (and loved!) Emma, I only have Mansfield Park and Persuasion to read, when it comes to Jane Austen's novels. I'd rather read Persuasion last, because it was the last one to be published, which only leaves... Mansfield Park. Out of all Jane Austen's novels in the Penguin English Library edition, Mansfield Park is for me the most beautiful and I'm really excited to read it! This is one of the longest of Jane Austen's novels, but as I've managed to read Emma, it shouldn't be a problem.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

This is one of Dickens' more popular novels and I still haven't read it. *hides* However, visiting Charles Dickens museum while I was in London made me so eager to read more of his books, starting with this one.


I have read Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, I have read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, but Anne Brontë? I still have to read anything she wrote. To be accurate, I'm currently reading it and so far, I'm really loving it; I sure hope it stays that way, as I've heard so many people loved it.




The Loving Spirit by Daphne du Maurier

I have now read two of Daphne du Maurier's novels, My Cousin Rachel and Jamaica Inn, and want to read all of the books this author ever wrote. I didn't know which one to pick up next, but The Loving Spirit is her debut and I'm curious to see what her first novel is like.



Have you read any of these books? What was the last book you bought?


Lots of love,
Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment